7 Days Rock Climbing on Mt Kenya North Face Route
Day 1: Nairobi/Sirimon/Judmaier Camp (Old Moses Camp) 3-4 hrs, 9km, 860m ascent
Leave Nairobi at 7.30am to Nanyuki town for lunch, taking about 4 hours. Proceed to Sirimon Gate, 1 hr, 2440m. From the gate follow the track as it winds uphill though the forest which becomes heath land after about 3 hrs. About 3½ hours from the gate the track veers right to Judmaier Camp, 3300m for dinner and overnight, L, D.
Day 2: Judmier Camp/Shipton Camp 6-7hrs, 17km, 900m ascent
After breakfast, follow the track uphill, forking left at the junction. After one hour from Old Moses Camp, the track crosses Ontulili River. Go right contouring through the Moorland and crossing Liki North and continue uphill to Mackinders Valley from where there are panoramic views up the valley towards the main peaks. Dinner and overnight at Shipton Camp, 4200m, B,L,D
Day 3: Shiptons Camp to Kami Hut
After breakfast ascend to KAMI HUT 4,600m which normally 2hrs. Dinner and overnight at the hut. Kami hut is the base for climbers who are doing the North Face route.
Day 4: Kami Hut
Wake up early at 0500hrs have some snacks then depart at around 0530hrs to the base of the North face, it normally takes 45 min- 1 hr. This section is rocky and Frozen scree. Continue climbing until you reach the starting point for Rock climbing. You will start your climbing at approximately 0700hrs. You will spend the night at Firmin Tower (10 ropes of 50m). Dinner and overnight at the camp.
Day 5: Firmin Tower- Batian (5,199m)- Shipton Camp
After breakfast from Firmin tower continue climbing until you reach Batian at 5,199m at approximately noon. Later Abseil down to the bottom and walk to shipton Camp for dinner and overnight.
Day 6: Shipton Camp- Chogoria Bandas
After breakfast, ascend to simba col then down to Chogoria Bandas, following the Gorges valley you will walk for approximately 7 hrs to get to chogoria bandas. Dinner and overnight at the bandas.
Day 7: Chogoria to Nairobi
After breakfast you will be picked by your car for trasnsfer back to Nairobi reaching Nairobi approximately 2 pm.
- Rescue fee
- Park fees (For non-residents)
- All activities (Unless labeled as optional)
- All accommodation (Unless listed as upgrade)
- Camping equipment
- A professional driver/guide
- All transportation (Unless labeled as optional)
- All Taxes/VAT
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- Meals (As specified in the day-by-day section)
- Drinking water (On all days)
- Climbing gear
- International flights (From/to home)
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Sleeping bag
- Bath towels
- Tips (Tipping guideline US$10.00 pp per day)
- Personal items (Souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees