Mount Kenya rock climbing requires some level of preparation. If you are planning to climb Mt Kenya (Batian and Nelion peaks), you needs to be 5.9 American Standard climber or hard server European standard. You need at minimum two days plus normal hiking time for Batian or Nelion.
Climbing Mt kenya’s Batian and Nelion is serious and it is important to acclimatize well.
Our guides have knowledge and experience of the climbing route on Nelion and Batian peaks on both verbal information and local knowledge.
They have undergone training through NOLS, working with Mt Kenya rescue team and having training on first aid and CPR.
Rock Climbing Equipment List
- 2 Ropes, each 60 meters in length (size 9 preferably). The ropes have to be in good condition
- 12 stoppers, (preferably medium sized ones, no. 3 to 6).
- At least 6 Chamalots or friends, (nos. 3 to 6).
- 6 Locking binners and 12 regular binners,
- Minimum 6 runners, Jumas and a cleaning tool,
- Enough strings or webbing. Bring 6 short and 6 long sewn ones and a several long unsown ones.
Equipment Check List
- Walking pole(s)
- Sleeping Bag,
- Gaiters: To keep mud, rocks, and snow out of your boots.
- Water purification: This is essential as water for drinking is taken directly from mountain streams.
- Hiking Boots: This is the most important item on the list. You’ll need a comfortable/waterproof pair of hiking boots which offer plenty of support.
Other Check List (Limit Yourself)
- 1 set of thermal underwear (top & bottom e.g poly plopeline thermos)
- 1 sleeping bag (rating -0 degree or four seasons goose down sleeping bags)
- 1 warm jersey puff jacket e.g the North Face Types of Jackets
- 1 sleeping pad/mat
- 1 pair of track suit top & bottom
- 1 light towel
- 1 polar fleece/down vest
- 1 pair of light loose fitting cotton trousers
- 1 waterproof jacket (with a hood) & pants
- 1 to 2 T-shirts (cotton/wool)
- 4 pairs of thermal hiking socks
- 2 pairs of thermal socks liner
- 2 to 3 pairs of shorts (with pockets)
- 1 pair of hiking boots
- 1 wide brimmed hat / baseball cap
- 1 pair of sneakers/trainers/takkies
- 1 pair of warm heavy weight gloves/mittens
- 1 pair of gaiters
- 1 pair of light weight gloves (inner gloves)
- 1 bandana
- 1 pair of sunglasses/mountaineering glasses
- 1 balaclava
- 1 wool hat
- 1 warm scarf
NB: Make sure that your boots are waterproof
- 2 x 2 litres water bottles (camel bags preferably)
- 1 head lamp (plus spare batteries & bulb)
- 1 pair of walking/ski poles
- 1 pocket swiss army knife
- 2 – 3 packets of moist towelettes.
- 1 travel pillow (optional)
- Personal Items & Toiletries: Toothpaste & tooth brush, body lotion, toilet paper and other personal hygiene items. (Ladies, please carry some sanitary toiletries as being at high altitude may alter your cycle).
- Photographic (optional): 1 camera (plus spare batteries),film & tripod stand, different lenses, 1 pair of binoculars, video camera, video tapes, battery packs
Want to go on Safari, check here.
Scale the height of Mt.Kilimanjaro.